This is a blog about my journeys as a biker-chick and my journey in life with Jesus, too!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

First Solo Ride

I did a solo ride today without my riding buddy husband, and I enjoyed it SO MUCH. I have enough confidence now to know I can handle sticky situations! :-) I fish tailed in an uphill driveway and made it. Whew. I thought the house was abandoned. It had a for sale sign on it -- well, got to the back yard and it wasn't abandoned! Hah! I bet the folks living there wondered if I was a burglar or something. Anyway, I have been looking for a house in the country, and that's why I checked it out. I'm so glad I didn't peek in the windows!

I also managed a U-turn (to the left) in the middle of the road. I rode in some rain, and I got lost and rode on a big highway with semis. LOL. I made it home just fine, though.

I also "tested" my throttle to see just how much pick up she had. Oh, found out, she can GO. LOL. I'm such a weenie, I hadn't wanted to try that yet. It's way too fun. I'm afraid I might be a speed freak after all.

It's so nice to just go and ride on instinct. For the first time today I wasn't worried about a deer jumping out or some critter running in my path -- I was just enjoying the journey and it felt great. I only wish I would have taken my camera.

There was one great moment when I was riding in a grove of trees, and a vulture/hawk (some huge big bird of prey) was flying straight toward me on the road. It was so awesome! He didn't veer off until I got right up to him. At first I thought it was a bald eagle (we have a lot of those around here) but darn, it wasn't. Still, it was an awesome sight. Also got to see a huge Blue Heron take flight as I rode by a creek.

The image “http://hws.bps101.net/images/flying_hawk_small.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

This is riding at its best, I think -- enjoying nature. I'm a nature nut anyway. I keep a nature journal and teach my students to hike and study it. (http://libertyscholars.com) I love critters and plants. (Just another reason I want a house in the country!)

I do know already I want a bigger bike. Maybe next summer. When I go by those semis the bike just scoots across the road. I hate that. Would a bigger windshield help with that or not?

Oh, another question: the choke. I accidentally left it open. It makes me so mad that I forget to shut it. That, and remembering to turn off my turn signal, are two things I'm still working on!

Just wanted to share with my buddies how much fun I'm having!

No comments:

Subscribe in a reader

Subscribe to Jesus Loves Biker Chicks, Too!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner